Arts Education Bill of Rights
Every Child in Every School
An Arts Education Bill of Rights
Every child in every school has the right to a well-rounded education, of which the arts are an essential ingredient. Beyond having great value in and of themselves, the arts promote the health and well-being of children, including academic and personal growth, critical thinking and analytical skills, and the motivation to stay in school and excel. Quality arts education is central to a complete education...and it is required by state education law.
A quality arts education helps students:
• Open doors of opportunity through the development of skills that are indispensable in the 21st century workforce;
• Foster an sense of personal identity and an appreciation for culture and community
• Develop as a person and global citizen;
• Become more expressive and creative and able to problem solve and work cooperatively
• Stay focused and engaged in school and learning
• Stay in school, achieve and excel;
The arts engage students and help transform schools into places of inquiry and wonder, where excitement, possibility, discovery, and imagination thrive. Every school must have the resources, leadership, parental involvement and public commitment needed to ensure that every child is able to realize the unique benefits of learning in and through the arts.
Every child in every school has the right to the fundamental components of a quality arts education, including:
1. Instruction by qualified teachers, enriched and strengthened by dedicated teaching artists and cultural institutions;
2. Facilities and classrooms that are adequately-equipped for arts education teaching and learning ;
3. Access to materials, supplies, equipment, instruments, and a rich array of cultural experiences;
4. The requisite amount of class time devoted to standards-based instruction in all art forms 5. The minimum instructional requirements for arts education as set forth in state education law.
We, the undersigned join The Center for Arts Education in supporting quality arts education for every child in every school.
Sub CategoriesEDUCATION: Key Resources
ADVOCACY: Resources & Links
ADVOCACY: Messaging Center
Today is March, 27 2017
live twitter feed:
Please send us your feedback
Let us know what you think, send ideas for initiatives, or contact us about our specific directives.
Special Thanks To All Our Active Participants
American Composers Forum • Association of Performing Arts Presenters • Chamber Music America • Chorus America • Conductors Guild • Dance/USA • League of American Orchestras • National Assembly of State Arts Agencies • National Guild for Community Arts Education • National Performance Network • New Music USA • OPERA America • Theatre Communications Group